Dood Van Iwata Op 55-jarige Leeftijd

July 2015 aangepast in Off-topic
Als een smasher, moet ik wel mijn condolatie geven aan degene die deze serie deels mogelijk heeft gemaakt.
Te jong doodgegaan is wel een beetje triest.
http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-president-satoru-iwata-has-passed-away/
1436755803280.jpg
Good night, sweet prince

Reacties

• Naar bericht inderdaad. :/
  • Wie kan deze meester toch vervangen toh... :
  • tNZ0evP.jpg

Heel erg spijtig, de gehele gaming community en ook de Smash community heeft veel aan hem te danken. Ik vond de "Mr. Iwata's Mii has slimmed down just like him, too" al een beetje een rode vlag in de Mini Nintendo Direct een paar weken voor E3. Het was common knowledge dat hij ziek was, zeker, maar een terminale vorm van kanker? Damn.

Door wie Iwata wordt opgevolgd is nog maar de vraag. Hopelijk is het iemand die Iwata's werk verderzet, maar aangezien de shareholders veel gewicht hebben in deze keuze is het misschien wel een of andere sellout en gaat Nintendo meer richting mobile dingen... wie weet.
  • You don't know you missed someone untill he is gone...
  • Het nieuws heeft me onverwacht diep geraakt wat veel zegt over zijn communicatie naar de buitenwereld toe en zijn betekenis voor de gaming wereld in het algemeen. Ik heb het op de volgende manier van me af geschreven op mijn FB wall.
    ----
    When I first saw the news this morning I deeply wanted it to be a crude joke, but the source was respectable and the heading so clear. Nintendo’s president and one of the nicest, most humble and visionary CEOs gaming has known passed away today at age 55. Like many others, that resonated with me deeply, but I’m rarely brought to tears of a passing of someone I’ve never really met. Yet when I stood in front the mirror today I couldn’t suppress them as I stared in my eyes and realised the profound impact this man’s actions have had on various parts of my life.

Mr Iwata, unlike many CEOs, you were a player and game creator first and foremost which clearly showed. Despite your father’s reservations, you joined and helped a small software company like HAL grow to produce some of the most treasured games and IP’s that exist today. Through your deep collaboration with Nintendo you were allowed to combine their IP’s into one of the funnest multiplayer games and perhaps unintentionally the greatest competitive series that I’ve ever enjoyed. A series that helped me step outside my comfort zone as it required couch play to compete. When you took the helm at Nintendo I felt safe and looked forward to similar experiences you would nurture at Nintendo.

But as I sought challenge and depth at the time, you saw the bigger picture and looked further in an effort to expand the gaming population, with an emphasis on accessibility first and foremost. I struggled to adapt as I was spoiled by experiences catered to the audience I belonged to, but I admired your eagerness to make digital play accessible to as many people as possible. You managed to do something I never could, you got my mom to play in a digital way. Though I tried, she didn’t grasp Mario Galaxy and even struggled to react in Wii Sports but through Brain Training you managed to get her to play all on her own on the couch while I was upstairs behind my console. In fact you didn’t just get her to play, you helped her rehabilitate through the accessibility of the wii-remote, contributing to her now being able to manoeuvre with a walking stick rather then a wheel chair.

In your efforts to connect with new audiences you struck gold and brought Nintendo some of the most prosperous times it’s seen despite many analysts predicting other wise. Yet you stayed humble and continued your mission to improve accessibility not only through your hardware and software but also through the talks that you chose to learn english for rather then opting for a translator and the many Nintendo Directs and Iwata Asks interviews. The approaches to gamedesign you and Mr Miyamoto shared have been a great influence in my early life as a gamedesigner and one I still identify with deeply. It was a welcoming contrast to the cold and reserved management culture we consider Japan to have and fitting of a playful company as Nintendo.

You showed humility when the landscape changed and your efforts to reconnect with your older fanbase didn’t work out as well. Sacrificing half of your salary so you didn’t have to make cuts in your company is a rare occurrence for a CEO of a company as large as yours and one I that have the utmost respect and admiration for. You didn’t seem to seek an exit strategy, what seemed to matter most of all for you was to keep a smile on someones face. In a rapidly changing landscape I for one appreciate your reserved mentality and sense of responsibility to keep play pure and sincere even when that means missing out on some early financial gain. Splatoon is a good sign to me that you've managed to nurture the experimental, carefree and joyful mentality that lies at the heart of play inside the company and I hope you've managed to inspire someone with as much of an appreciation and respect for play to take up the torch.

It’s sad and incredibly unfair our world has had to say goodbye to you so early on. You're one of the first developers I really wished to meet one day to exchange thoughts with. In a physical way I’ll never get a chance, which greatly saddens me, but in a way through your many efforts to reach out and from what I’ve been able to read I think in terms of ideology we already have.

I’d like to end this post with a symbol of two of the most powerful emotions I see gaming convey. I know you considered your life's mission above all to make people smile but it’s ok to cry some times and today is one of those days.

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you Iwata :’)